About

Our Heritage Listed building was erected in 1901 by Dr. William Cussen, a surgeon. His name is still visable in the leadlight above the front door.

Over the next 20 years, the building changed hands a number of times but remained a surgery and residence for doctors and nurses until 1920, when the Returned Soliders Association (which later became the R.S.L) purchased the building. This site was chosen after reviewing many other properties in Ballarat, including the Mining Exchange and the Ballarat Mechanic's Institute.

In July 1920, the building was later gifted to the citizens of Ballarat for the ongoing welfare of returned service men and women.  Sir John Monash officially opened the building as the Ballarat War Memorial Building.

in 1942 a volutary organisation called The Comforts Fund took up residence in the building with the permission of the R.S.L to trasform it into a hostel, providing beds, food and support for many service men and women during World War II. It is estimated that by the end of the war in 1945, one million meals had been served. The building was returned the R.S.L in the later part of 1945.

In 2013, 2 Lyons Street South was given new life as Ballarat Premier Apartments after extensive renovations, and began operating as luxury accommodation.

 

 

Click here for things to do in Ballarat.